TOP-RATED ARTHROSCOPIC SHOULDER SURGEON IN NYC & NJ
Leon E. Popovitz, MD, a top orthopedic surgeon, and his associates at New York Bone and Joint Specialists have the highest skill and success in Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery in NYC & NJ. If you have been advised that you need arthroscopic shoulder surgery, then that is an important reason to see Leon E. Popovitz, MD, a top-rated orthopedic surgeon in NYC who is also the co-founder and chief orthopedic surgeon at New York Bone and Joint Specialists.
Our facilities offer a professional, comprehensive and individualized environment that leads to one-of-a-kind care. New York Bone and Specialists has offices in NYC-Upper East Side, NYC-Midtown West in Manhattan and Hoboken, NJ. New York Bone and Joint Specialists can provide urgent and immediate orthopedic services for diagnosis and treatment of your shoulder pain and injury.
WHAT IS SHOULDER ARTHROSCOPY?
Shoulder arthroscopy, or arthroscopic shoulder surgery, is a highly-skilled, minimally-invasive procedure. As the best-rated NYC orthopedic surgeon, Leon E. Popovitz, MD, and his associates at New York Bone and Joint Specialists routinely perform this procedure to treat many types of conditions in the shoulder.
Shoulder arthroscopy allows direct visualization of the shoulder joint without a large incision. It allows for a quicker recovery time, less pain and faster healing. Shoulder arthroscopy involves the use of 2-3 very small incisions around the area of the shoulder joint, which serve as portals. Using this approach, Leon E. Popovitz, MD, is able to avoid injuring the surrounding structures such as muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves.
Once the portals for the arthroscopy are established, Leon E. Popovitz, MD, will insert a fiber optic camera (arthroscope) to directly picture your shoulder joint. Once inside, detailed analysis of the quality of the joint can be accomplished and repair can be performed.
TREATED BY SHOULDER ARTHROSCOPY
- Rotator Cuff Tear: The rotator cuff is comprised of four (4) tendons and when one or more of these is torn a rotator cuff injury has occurred.
- Shoulder Labral Tear: Damage to the specialized cartilage of the shoulder joint.
- Shoulder Impingement Syndrome (Bone Spur): The consequence of increased pressure and inflammation within the shoulder joint that leads to pain and decrease in shoulder motion.
- Biceps Tendonitis: Inflammation in the biceps tendon.
- AC Joint Arthritis: Acromioclavicular (AC joint) arthritis.
- Recurrent Shoulder Dislocation: Repetitive, painful partial or complete dislocation of the shoulder from its anatomic joint position.
- Frozen Shoulder: Stiffness and scar tissue in shoulder joint.
PROCEDURES PERFORMED BY SHOULDER ARTHROSCOPY
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Labral Repair
- Bankart Repair/Shoulder Stabilization: Stabilizes and stops recurrent dislocations
- Decompression: Removes bone spurs pinching rotator cuff tendons
- AC Joint Arthroplasty: Clears out arthritis or narrowed AC joint
- Lysis of Adhesions: Removes scar tissue
RECOVERY FROM SHOULDER ARTHROSCOPY
Upon immediate completion of your shoulder arthroscopy with Leon E. Popovitz, MD, your post-surgery progress will be monitored closely. You will have a sling for comfort and safety. Pain medication will be provided if needed. Bandages are removed within 2 days and most daily function is resumed within 3 to 5 days.
Recovery from arthroscopic shoulder surgery is significantly faster than from an open type of surgical procedure. Nonetheless, it is important to follow all post-op instructions from Leon E. Popovitz, MD, and his staff.
Physical therapy and rehabilitation are important to your recovery. Leon E. Popovitz, MD, will provide specific instructions to your physical therapist to tailor a program that will help you to recover full function and become pain free.
A shoulder injury and the possibility of shoulder arthroscopic surgery can cause a patient anxiety. However, top-rated orthopedic surgeon Leon E. Popovitz, MD has years of experience in treating all types of shoulder injuries with compassion and kindness.
Moreover, he has the highest level of success in all types of arthroscopic shoulder surgery and bringing stability and function to the patients he so diligently treats. This is why his skill and knowledge is sought out from all over the world.
If you are from outside of New York City, please refer to our International Patients & Medical Tourists page for accommodations and services provided for traveling patients.