Numbness is the loss of feeling or tingling sensation in any area of the body. It is usually preceded by a burning, tingling, pins- and- needles type feeling that is referred to as paresthesias.
Numbness is the result of some sort of nerve abnormality. The reasons vary from trauma to disease to leaning on a body part for too long. It is most often caused by:
- Nerve compression
- Nerve damage
- Lack of blood flow
NUMBNESS FROM ORTHOPEDIC ISSUES
Numbness may often be caused by underlying orthopedic problems such as:
- Joint Dislocation – When any joint pops out of place it may damage or put pressure on surrounding nerves, causing the extremity to go numb.
- Golfer’s Elbow – This is pain caused by the tendon on the inside of your elbow, which may pull on the nerves in the area causing the arm, hand, and fingers to feel a numbing sensation.
- Tennis Elbow – This is the same as Golfer’s Elbow except the tendon on the outside of the arm irritates nearby nerves.
- Herniated Disk – When a disk between the vertebrae of the spine slips, it can irritate nerves, causing numbness of arms and legs.
- Pinched Nerve – This is when surrounding tissues press on nerves, causing tingling and numbness.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – This irritates nerve endings of the fingers, causing a numbing sensation.
- Bone Fractures – These may cause tissue damage which irritates nerves.
- Degenerative Disk Disease – As disks deteriorate bones may rub and pressure nearby nerve endings.
Muscle weakness is the loss of strength or easy usage of one or more muscles. The muscle can handle less activity than normal and gives out under strain.
Muscular weakness may stem from a variety of sources, most commonly muscular, neurological, or metabolic diseases and disorders.
- Bell’s palsy
- Cerebral palsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Nerve compression
- Muscular dystrophy
EXPERIENCING PAIN? DO YOU HAVE AN INJURY?
Our Specialists are here to help.
Book an appointment with NYC’s best orthopedic specialists to discuss your condition. Click “book online” to fill out a form and you will receive a call from our office within 5-10 minutes. We’ll book an appointment at a time and location that work for you, and send you a reminder by email.
New York Bone & Joint Doctors Specialized in this Area:
- Top-Rated Neck & Back Doctor NYC
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Non-Operative Orthopedics
- Electrodiagnostic Testing (EMG/NCS)