Professional orthopedic care for your shoulder and knee
Additional videos of conditions located at the bottom of the page
Leon E. Popovitz, MD is the co-founder of New York Bone & Joint Specialists. A top-rated orthopedic surgeon in New York City and New Jersey, he is an internationally recognized expert in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine. Honored to have been a team physician for the U.S. Open Tennis Championships, Dr. Popovitz treats patients from world-class athletes to weekend warriors, always with the same compassionate commitment to each patient’s needs.
Dr. Popovitz primarily specializes in minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee. Considered an authority in orthopedic medicine, Dr. Popovitz is known for his kind demeanor and meticulous skill. Some of the injuries he treats most often include torn labrums in the shoulder, shoulder dislocations that result in Bankart tears, rotator cuff tears, and ACL, meniscus, and cartilage tears of the knee.
Dr. Popovitz’ treatment philosophy is that preserving the vital structures with which we are born is the key to extending the life of our joints. He also stresses that a proper rehabilitation plan, whenever appropriate, can often help patients avoid surgery. Consistently at the forefront of orthopedic medicine, Dr. Popovitz’ clinical studies are designed to perfect the latest non-surgical and surgical treatments for the conditions in which he specializes. In addition, his inventions have paved the way for groundbreaking techniques and procedures that will be used by orthopedic surgeons in the future.
Medical Training and Professional Honors
Dr. Popovitz grew up in Queens after he and his family immigrated from Ukraine during his childhood. When he was 17, he was admitted to the renowned Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education combined BS/MD program. He then went on to graduate from New York Medical College. After receiving his MD, he completed an Internship in General Surgery at the Level 1 Trauma Center of St. Vincent’s Medical Center, and his Orthopedic Surgery Residency at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. His training also included positions at Harvard Children’s Hospital in Boston and Cornell/Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. After serving in these roles, he completed a Fellowship in Arthroscopic Surgery and Sports Medicine at the distinguished NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases (NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital).
Dr. Popovitz is an Attending Surgeon at New York’s Northwell/Lenox Hill Hospital. A fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery as well as a member of the European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy, Dr. Popovitz is widely recognized as a leading specialist in his field. He’s received numerous honors from distinguished organizations across the world:
- Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Listed in the Consumer Research Council of America’s Top Surgeons, Top Orthopedic Surgeons and Top Physicians since 2004
- Featured in Castle Connolly’s rankings of America’s Top Doctors in 2016 and 2017
- Named a SuperDoctor by the New York Times
- Included in New York magazine’s list of New York City’s Top Doctors and Top Orthopedic Surgeons
- Inducted into the Leading Physicians of the World by the International Association of Healthcare Professionals
- Honored by The Global Jewish Assistance & Relief Network for his charitable endeavors
- Served as an Orthopedic Surgeon for the US Open Tennis Championships
Shoulder Conditions & Treatments
- Shoulder Labral (SLAP) Tears
- Shoulder/ Rotator Cuff Impingement
- Shoulder Dislocations – First Time and Recurrent
- Shoulder Ligament Injuries & Tears
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Shoulder (AC Joint) Separation or Sprain
- AC Joint Osteolysis/ “Weight Lifters” Shoulder
- Sports Injuries of the Shoulder
Knee Conditions & Treatments
Experiencing Pain? Do you Have an Injury?
Our Specialists are here to help.
Book an appointment with NYC's best orthopedic specialists to discuss your condition. Fill out the form below and you will receive a call from our office within 5-10 minutes. We'll book an appointment at a time and location that work for you, and send you a reminder by email.